How do terrorist organizations sabotage peace negotiations?
- Terrorist organizations may not want peace between their home state and a foreign power.
- According to sovereignty, the home state is responsible for rooting out terrorism.
- Foreign powers cannot adequately observe whether the home state is making a good-faith effort to stop the terrorists.
- Foreign powers may therefore terminate negotiations after a terrorist attack because they suspect that the home state does not want to stop the terrorists.
- Thus, terrorists organizations can spoil the peace by preying on the lack of trust between the two states.
- The concept of spoiling comes from this article.